Born on 2nd October 1904 in Mughalsarai which is currently in Uttar Pradesh, Lal Bahadur Shastri was the second Prime Minister of India and also the senior leader of the Indian National Congress.
Shastri Ji was influenced by Mahatama Gandhi and later by Jawaharlal Nehru and eventually became their follower. He served as the Prime Minister of the country from 1954 to 1966 and as the second Prime Minister of India followed the footsteps of Jawaharlal Nehru after his death, who was also his mentor.
Shastri became popular during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965 which formally ended with the Tashkent Agreement on 10th January 1966. Shashtri died the following day to the signing of the agreement. Still in Tashkent the cause of his death is in dispute. It was reported that he died of a cardiac arrest but his family was not satisfied with it, whereas his wife, Lalita Shastri had alleged that he was poisoned.
Slogans by Lal Bahadur Shahstri
Shashtri was the man who led a simple life and coined the term “Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan!”. Here are 5 most influential quotes by Shahstri Ji:
- “The preservation of freedom, is not the task of the soldiers alone. The whole nation has to be strong.”
- “We believe in peace and peaceful development, not only for ourselves but for people all over the world.”
- “The democracy or the swaraj of the masses can never come through untruthful and violent means.”
- “India will have to hang down her head in shame if even one person is left who said in any way to be untouchable.”
- “The basic idea of governance, as I see it, is to hold the society together so that it can develop and march towards certain goals.”