- The closing ceremony of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Games was held at the National Stadium in Beijing on February 20, 2022. The 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China, were held from 4 to 20 February 2022. A record 109 events took place in 15 disciplines in 7 sports. The venues of the Games were distributed in three regions, Beijing, Yanqing and Zhangjiakou. The presidency of the next Games was formally handed over to Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo in Italy to host the 2026 Winter Olympics. Norway topped the medal tally for the second consecutive Winter Olympics, with a total of 37 medals, including 16 gold. This is a new record for the most gold medals won in a single Winter Olympics.
- The football teams of Poland and Sweden have refused to play the FIFA World Cup 2022 qualifiers against Russia. The Polish national team does not want to play a play-off match with Russia citing the conflict between Russia and Ukraine. Now FIFA has decided that no international football matches will be played in Russia. At the same time, there will be a ban on the Russian team playing abroad, their flag and national anthem. Along with this, England has decided that they will not play any football match against Russia.
- Indian young chess grandmaster, Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa has created history by defeating the world’s number one chess champion, Magnus Carlsen of Norway, in an online chess tournament. The AirThings Masters is the first of nine events of the 2022 Meltwater Champions Chess Tour, being held from February to November 2022
- .Ever since the Hitman Rohit Sharma becomes the Indian team skipper, the team is doing magic. Team India has won 12 consecutive T20 International matches. With this, India has equaled Afghanistan’s world record. The world record for winning most consecutive matches in T20I is recorded in the name of Afghanistan (12). The Afghan team had won 12 consecutive matches in 2018-19. Apart from this, Romania has won 12 matches in a row, but they do not have the status of playing Test cricket.
Also read: Barcelona Won La Liga 1973-74; See the Top Scorers Here!
- 18-year-old Carlos Alcaraz from Spain has won the Rio Open tennis title by defeating Diego Schwartzman in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. This makes him the youngest ATP 500 champion since the division’s formation in 2009. This is his second Tour-level title in his career after his success at Umag last year.
- America’s women football players will now get paid equal to male counterparts. After 6 years, an agreement has been reached between the American Football Association and the women’s players. Under the agreement, the National Federation will also provide an amount of Rs 179 crore for the payment of dues, so that the current and former players can get their share.
- Indian weightlifter and 2020 Tokyo Olympics silver medalist, Mirabai Chanu has won the gold medal in the 55kg weight category at the Singapore Weightlifting International 2022. Chanu lifted 191 kg (86 kg + 105 kg) to stand at the top of the podium. With this, 27-year-old Chanu has also qualified for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in the 55kg weight category. She has also qualified for Commonwealth Games in 49kg weight category based on Commonwealth ranking.
- In tennis, Rafael Nadal defeated British number one Cameron Norrie 6-4 6-4 to win the singles title of the Mexican Open 2022 , a.k.a Acapulco title. This is the 91st ATP title of his career and third title of the season. This is the fourth time Rafael Nadal has won the Mexican Open title, after winning previous titles in 2005, 2013 and 2020. The men’s doubles title winners are Feliciano Lopez (Spain) and Stefanos Tsitsipas (Greece).
Also read: Who Is Mirabai Chanu, The Girl Who Clinched Olympic Medal For India?
- Liverpool has won its first domestic final in a decade by beating Chelsea 11-10 on penalties to grab the League Cup on Sunday. All 10 penalties had been scored before it was down to the goalkeepers to take their turn and Kepa Arrizabalaga missed after Liverpool counterpart Caoimhin Kelleher had netted.
- Indian wushu player Sadia Tariq has won gold medal in junior tournament at Moscow Wushu Stars Championship 2022. 15-year-old Sadia Tariq hails from Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir. The Wushu Stars Championship is being organized in Moscow, Russia from 22 to 28 February. 38 players including 23 juniors and 15 seniors participated in the championship from India.