- The traditional game of Gatka is about to gain national traction after being formally included in the 37th National Games-2023, which will be hosted in Goa in October this year. In partnership with the government, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) will organise a total of 43 athletic events during the National Games. National Gatka Association of India (NGAI) president and state awardee Harjit Singh Grewal, IOA President, Rajya Sabha member PT Usha, and Sports Technical Conduct Committee (GTCC) chairman Amitabh Sharma, member Bhupinar, for the inclusion of Gatka in the National Games for the first time Singh Bajwa, and other members.
- FC Barcelona has won the Spanish championship for the 27th time in the club’s 123-year existence, clinching the club’s first trophy since 2019. They did it with a 4-2 victory against local rivals Espanyol, which put them 14 points ahead of second-placed Real Madrid. With only four rounds of La Liga remaining this season, Barcelona is assured of winning.
- Inter Milan will face Manchester City in the UEFA Champions League final on June 10 in Istanbul. Manchester City upset defending champions Real Madrid in the semi-finals, and Inter Milan overcame AC Milan to reach the league final. Inter have reached the league final for the sixth time, and City have done so for the second time.. The semi-finals of the Champions League are played over two legs. The team that scores more goals in both the legs advances to the final.
- V Praneeth, a 15-year-old Telangana chess player, has been named Grandmaster, making him the sixth from the state and the 82nd in India. He accomplished this accomplishment by defeating American GM Hans Niemann in the last round of the Baku Open 2023. The victory also assisted him in exceeding 2500, especially his ELO rating of 2500.5. Praneeth won his maiden GM-norm and International Master (IM) titles in March 2022 at the first Saturday event. He received his second GM-norm in July 2022 at the Biel MTO, and his last GM-norm nine months later at the second Chessable Sunway Formentera Open 2023.
- Neeraj Chopra, recognised as the country’s Golden Boy, will compete in the Fanny Blankers-Koen Games (FBK) 2023, which will be held in the Netherlands on June 4. The FBK Games are an annual Dutch athletics event hosted at the Fanny Blankers-Koen Stadium in Hengelo. This one-day meet is part of the World Athletics Continental Tour Gold Series for elite athletes. The FBK Games will be Neeraj Chopra’s second event of 2023. The Indian javelin thrower won the Doha Diamond League title earlier this month in his first competitive tournament of the year. Neeraj Chopra, the reigning Diamond League champion, won the Doha League with a throw of 88.67m at the Qatar Sports Club.
Read more: Grammy Awards 2023: Beyonce creates history, here is the list of winners
- Yashasvi Jaiswal, the Rajasthan Royals (RR) squad’s opening batsman and the future of the Indian side, has made a record by recording the fastest half-century in IPL history. Jaiswal, 21, owns the record for the fastest half-century in IPL history, completing his half-century in just 13 balls during a match against the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR). The 56th match of the IPL 2023 was played at Eden Gardens between the Kolkata Knight Riders and the Rajasthan Royals. Kolkata has set a victory target of 150 runs in front of Rajasthan.
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has named the Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month for the month of April. Pakistan’s Fakhar Zaman won the men’s team, and Thailand’s Narumol Chaiwai won the women’s team. Fakhar won the title with outstanding performances against New Zealand and Narumol against Zimbabwe. Fakhar Zaman of Pakistan has been named the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for April. Fakhar won this title by defeating Sri Lankan spinner Prabhat Jayasuriya and rising New Zealand batsman Mark Chapman.
- Lionel Messi, who captained Argentina to World Cup success in 2022, was named Laureus Sportsman of the Year at a ceremony in Paris. Furthermore, Messi accepted the World squad of the Year award on behalf of Argentina’s men’s football squad, which won the World Cup in Qatar. Messi was also the first athlete to be both World Sportsman of the Year and World Team of the Year in the same year.
- World champion Max Verstappen defeated Red Bull teammate Sergio Perez to win the Miami Grand Prix 2023. Due to a qualifying error, Red Bull’s Verstappen did not start on the front row, but the reigning world champion did not look back and won the race by overtaking championship-leading Ferrari’s Charles Lecarrec. Carlos Sainz of Ferrari finished third, Sergio Perez of Red Bull finished fourth, and George Russell of Mercedes finished fifth. Verstappen’s third victory in five races this season. With his 23rd career victory, he is only 19 points behind Laker.
Read more: 11 best stand-up comedians in India
- Suryakumar Yadav of Mumbai Indians was not out after scoring 103 runs off 49 balls in the match against Gujarat Titans on Friday at Wankhede Stadium. He reached the century mark by hitting a six off the final pitch of the inning. Surya was named the match’s MVP. Mumbai defeated Gujarat by 27 runs in this match. Surya smacked 11 fours and six sixes in his 103-run innings. This is Surya’s highest IPL score. Earlier in the season, on May 9, he recorded his highest IPL total of 83 runs in 35 balls in a match against Bengaluru. He and Vishnu Vinod had an undefeated partnership of 65 off 42 balls, and he and Cameron Green had an unbeaten partnership of 54 off 18 balls. Surya achieved 50 points from 15 balls in collaboration with Green.