IPL like franchise-based cricket league ‘The Hundred’ is starting in England from July 21. The teams will select England’s domestic players through a wild card draft. Players from other teams have already been selected.
The league will be played in both men’s and women’s categories. That is, all the franchises will have a men’s as well as a women’s team. However, Indian male senior players are not allowed to play in this league.
How unique is this format?
- The name of this league is called The Hundred because each match will have 100 balls in an innings.
- In normal cricket matches, an over consist of 6 balls, but in The Hundred, the over will be changed after 10 balls.
- However, ifthe bowling team can give 10 consecutive balls to the same bowler or 5-5 balls to two bowlers.
- A bowler can bowl a maximum of 20 balls in a match.
- The power-play will be applicable for 25 balls at the beginning of the innings. In this, only two fielders will be outside 30 yards.
- A match will last for 2 hours, 30 minutes.
- Each team will get a strategic time out of 2.5 minutes. During this, the teams will be able to strategize.
- During the time out, the coach will be able to come on the field and discuss the strategy with the team.
In this league, 8 teams are participating in each, men’s and women’s,category. Each team will consist of 15 players. A team can have up to 3 foreign players. Each team must include at least one Test player who has secured a contract from the ECB.
How is it different from IPL?
- There are also 8 teams in the Women’s League of The Hundred. Whereas, a mini-tournament is played consisting of 3 women’s teams in the IPL.
- 60 matches take place in a season of IPL. In The Hundred, 32 matches will be played.
- IPL players are selected through the auction process. Whereas, the Hundred has a draft system for this.
- In IPL, a team can spend Rs 85 crores in a season on salary. In this league, the franchise can spend 1 million pounds (about Rs 10.27 crore) on the salary of male players.
- IPL is played in T20 format. In The Hundred, there will be a contest of 100-100 balls.
Highest paid foreign players in this league
These players are in the highest price band( 1 lakh pound):
- Al Hasan (Bangladesh)
- Babar Azam (Pakistan)
- Quinton de Kock (South Africa)
- Lockie Ferguson (New Zealand)
- Jason Holder (West Indies)
- Tamim Iqbal (Bangladesh)
- Kieron Pollard (West Indies)
- Nicholas Pooran (West Indies)
- Kagiso Rabada (South Africa)
- David Warner (Australia)
You may also like: Top 5 Run Scorers at Caribbean Premier League 2015