The opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics, which was delayed by a year due to the Corona pandemic, was held on Friday evening. Usually, the opening ceremony and the march past of players from all countries are one of the highlights of the Olympic Games, but this time due to Corona, only 1000 players and officials were present in the event.
The players’ march past began with a contingent from Greece, the organizers of the first Summer Olympic Games held in 1896. The Indian team came at number 21 in the players’ march past. 25 members including players and officials participated in the march past of the Indian contingent.
After the march past, the athletes were administered the oath of the Olympic spirit. This time around 11,238 players are vying for 339 gold in 33 sports in the Olympics.
Protest against the event:
The residents of Tokyo are opposing this Olympics being held during the Corona period. On Friday also, before the opening ceremony, protesters gathered outside the main stadium and raised slogans against the Olympics.
Highlights of the event:
- Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka lit the Olympic cauldron to mark the formal start of Tokyo Olympics 2020.
- A drone show was also organized during the opening ceremony. With the help of 1824 drones, the shape of the earth was formed in the sky.
- The opening of the Tokyo Olympic Ceremony was slightly different from the regular Olympic Games opening. Tributes were first paid to the people who lost their lives around the world due to the Corona pandemic.
- Emperor Naruhito of Japan also attended the opening ceremony. Bangladesh’s Mohammad Yunus, who won the Nobel Peace Prize, was awarded the Special Olympic Prize.
- According to the estimates of the International Olympic Committee, about 350 million people worldwide watched the broadcast of the Opening Ceremony.
Also read: Tokyo 2021: Indian Team in Field Hockey
India at the Tokyo Olympics:
This time 127 athletes from India are participating in the Olympics. Indian athletes will present their claim for 85 events this time. India has made men’s hockey team captain Manpreet Singh and 6-time boxing world champion MC Mary Kom as flag bearers for the opening ceremony.
A big change in medal ceremony:
Every athlete who competes in the Olympics dreams of winning a medal. After winning an event player is awarded the medal on the podium. This moment also becomes the most memorable moment of his life, but due to the Corona pandemic, it will not happen in the Tokyo Olympics. This time the winning athletes will have to put their own medals around their necks. Also, there will be a ban on shaking hands and hugging athletes during medal ceremonies.
Also read: Tokyo 2021: Indian Team in Para Archery