The Supreme Court on Tuesday gave conditional approval to the Union’s ambitious Central Vista project. Conditionally, the apex court has also asked for the permission of the Heritage Conservation Committee to start construction. A new parliament building is going to be built after almost 100 years. The estimated cost of this project is Rupees 865 crores. The New Parliament building is designed by the famous architect and Padma Shree awardee, Bimal Patel. Let us see highlights of this ambitious project.
You may also like: PM Modi To Inaugurate Bengaluru Tech Summit 2020 On Thursday
What is the need of this project?
The Parliament House is now outdated, requires repairing in many places. All things like air conditioners, audio-visual systems, ventilation and electricity need to be changed. At the same time, sitting capacity has reached maximum level in Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha. Due to these factors, new building is necessary. The offices of the ministries are also at different places in Delhi. In the new project, it is also preferred that all the ministries should be at one place for better synchronisation of the inter-ministerial works.
What is Central Vista?
New Delhi came into existence in 1911 after construction on the design of British architect Edwin Lutyens. After this, Parliament House was built between 1921-27. Then the area around Rajpath, three kilometres from India Gate to Rashtrapati Bhavan, was identified for new construction. It was named ‘Central Vista’. Since then this area of Lutyens Zone in New Delhi has been known as Central Vista. Now the renovation and new construction which is going to happen, has also been named by the Central Government as Central Vista Project.
Contract of the project
Tata has got the contract to build a new Parliament building. 865 crore rupees will be spent on this project. The new parliament will be built on plot number 118 of Parliament House State. In addition to the new parliament under the project, 10 buildings will be built around India Gate, which will have offices of 51 ministries.
New-old buildings will give a diamond look
In this entire project, two buildings will be built in Triangle shape on either side of the old building. The old Parliament House is round in shape, while the new Parliament will be triangular in shape. Due to this, when looking at new and old buildings together, a diamond look will be seen. It is expected that the new building of Parliament will be completed by 2022.
Highlights of the new Parliament building
- The new Parliament building will be next to the existing Parliament building and the two buildings will work together.
- Currently, Lok Sabha has a seating capacity of 590 people. The new Lok Sabha will have 888 seats and the visitors gallery will have seating for more than 336 people.
- The Rajya Sabha currently has a seating capacity of 280. There will be 384 seats in the new Rajya Sabha and more than 336 people will be able to sit in the visitors gallery.
- There will be so much space in the Lok Sabha that during the joint session of both houses, more than 1272 MPs will be able to sit in the Lok Sabha itself.
- There will be separate offices for every important function of the Parliament. Hi-tech office will be available for officers and employees.
- The cafe and dining area will also be equipped with modern facilities. Separate rooms of the committee meeting will be built with top notch equipment.
- Common rooms, lounge for women and VIP lounge will also be arranged.
- The new parliament building will be built, keeping in mind the high energy efficiency. It will also be rated as Green Building.
- There will be high quality acoustic in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha halls.
- Air conditioning, lighting, electric equipment will be easily upgraded.
- Maintenance and operation of the building can be done easily.
- Underground entrance for VVIP, while there will be entry from ground floor for common people and officials.
- Special care will be taken to ensure the accessibility of differently able persons.
- According to the new plan, all the administrative offices of the central government will be brought together in one place, which will ease the functioning.
- Some parts of the old building will be demolished and a secretive building will be built there. By doing this, the land will be used properly.