Worst fire accidents in Indian History

by Madhvi Bansal
Worst fire accidents in Indian History

Indian has faced many natural and man made disasters. Whenever they strike, the country has to undergo huge losses of men and material. Efforts are continuously being made to minimize the damage caused by such incidents. 

Let us take a look at the worst fires that India has faced over the past few years.

Read more: Have you heard the name of khooni nadi in rohini?

Mandi Dabwali Fire Tragedy – Haryana

In 1995, a fire erupted in a pandal in Mandi Dabwali in Haryana due to a short circuit. It happened during the annual school function of a school and the incident left around 300 people dead and 100 injured. It was seen that there was only 1 exit from the venue that too from a small gate.

Kumbakonam School Fire- Tamil Nadu

In 2004, A fire broke out in a school at Kumbakonam in Thanjavur district of Tamil Nadu in which over 90 innocent children lost their lives. The building was located among other residential buildings and had no proper ventilation or exits which led to poor disaster management.

Read more: Which is the highest budget movie in Hollywood?

Bihar fire

A fire broke out in 3 illegal firecracker factories in Khusropur village, Bihar in September 2005. It left 35 people dead and around 50 people injured.

Stephen Court Fire Tragedy

In 2010, a fire broke out in the Stephen Court building, Kolkata. As is the case most of the time, the evacuation could not be managed properly. The building was old and not properly maintained. There were no proper fire escapes as well.

Read more: Which is the highest budget movies in bollywood?

Puttingal Temple Fire

In 2016, a fire started in the Puttingal temple in Kollam, Kerala due to firecrackers. The fire claimed over 100 lives and left around 300 people injured. The collapse of debris on people after the incident made matters worse.

Uphaar Cinema fire Tragedy

Uphaar Cinema fire, that took place in 1997, was one of the worst fire tragedies that took place in India. It took place due to faulty wire connections. The fire claimed the lives of over 50 people and left many injured. One very important observation from the incident is that there were a number of fire code violations . The hall had unauthorized extensions and additions to the seats which resulted in blockage of the passages. There were no emergency lights, foot lights or exit lights installed that could have helped in evacuation.

Read more: The real based horror stories, which you will believe for sure