Corona cases have started coming down in the country, this shows the country has passed the peak of the second wave. The epidemic has caused the most havoc in May. If we talk about 21 days of May, a record 71.3 lakh people were infected and 83,721 people died in the country. This figure is the highest in terms of cases and deaths in a month. Earlier in April, 69.36 lakh people were infected by the Corona and 48,879 people succumbed to it.
Comparing peaks of two waves
If we compare September of 2020, the most affected month in the first wave, only 26.22 lakh people were infected by the virusout of which 33,273 people had lost their lives.
On the other hand,if we look at the worst-hit month of the second wave, that is May, there has been an increase of about 2.5 times in the cases of infection and death.
New cases are declining but not deaths
Yesterday, COVID-19 was confirmed in 2,57,299 people in the country. This figure is the lowest in the last 35 days. Earlier, on April 16, 2.34 lakh infections were identified. The good thing is the recoveries have outnumbered the new cases. 3 lakh 57 thousand 625 people defeated coronavirus yesterday. However, the figure for daily deaths has again crossed the mark of 4000.
- 3 million doses of Russian vaccine Sputnik-V are expected to reach by May-end in India. At the same time, 50 lakh doses will be supplied by June. India’s Ambassador to Russia D. BalaVenkateshVerma said that production of Sputnik-V is expected to start in India from August. He said that Russia has also proposed for single-dose Sputnik light, which is yet to be approved in India. The sputnik-V vaccine is being imported by Hyderabad-based company Dr Reddy’s Laboratory.
- Mucormycosis or black fungus is looming a big menace amid COVID-19. So far, 9,320 cases of black fungus have been reported in 15 states including Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. At the same time, 235people have succumbed to it. The highest number of cases has been reported in Gujarat.
- Black fungus has been declared an epidemic by Haryana. After that Rajasthan also included this infection in the epidemic act. Then the central government also asked all the states that black fungus should be notified under the Epidemic Act. After this, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh, Telangana and Tamil Nadu have also declared Black Fungus as an epidemic.
- According to the Indian Medical Association (IMA), more than 400 doctors have lost their lives due to infection in the second wave of the corona.
- The Tamil Nadu government on Saturday announced the extension of the ongoing Covid-induced lockdown, slated to end on May 24, by another week.
- Covid-19 vaccination for adults between the ages of 18 to 44 has halted in Delhi from Saturday due to no more doses available in Delhi’s stock, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced.
Corona at a glance in India (data taken from mygov.in)
Total new cases came in last 24 hours:2,57,299
Total deaths in last 24 hours: 4,194
Total recovered in last 24 hours: 3,57,630
Total infected so far: 2,62,89,290
Recovered till now: 2,30,70,365
Total deaths so far: 2,95,525
Total active cases: 29,23,400
Total people vaccinated so far: 19,33,72,819