Have a look at the weekly roundup of sports
- Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo, one of the world’s greatest football players, has set a new record. He has become the highest goal scorer in international matches. His international goals have gone up to 111, with this he has defeated Iran’s Ali Dei. Other international footballers currently playing have not even reached the 100 mark.
- After the Tokyo Olympics, India has also performed record-breaking in the Tokyo Paralympics. Our para-athletes won 19 medals for the country in the 16th Paralympic Games held in Tokyo. This includes 5 gold medals. This is India’s record-breaking performance in the Paralympics. India had earlier won 12 medals in 11 Paralympics in 53 years. That is, in this event, India achieved 42% more success than the medals won in all the previous events. This time India clinched 5 golds in a single Paralympics. Earlier, India has not won more than two gold medals in any Paralympic Games. Similarly, India won 8 silvers in Tokyo. India had earlier won 4 silvers in total. India has also won 6 Bronze this time.
- Avani Lekhara, who won the country’s first gold medal at the Tokyo Paralympics, has created history by winning the bronze medal in the 50m air rifle women’s competition. Avni has become the first player in the country to win two medals in one Olympics.
- Team India opener Shikhar Dhawan and his wife Ayesha Mukherjee have separated after 9 years of marriage. Ayesha gave this information on her social media on Tuesday. The news of a rift between Shikhar and Ayesha had been doing the rounds for a long time. Both had also unfollowed each other on social media.
- The 15-member Indian team for the T20 World Cup to be held in October has been announced. Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin will return to T20 Internationals after four years. Former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni will be the mentor of the team. However, Shikhar Dhawan, Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal could not find a place in the 15-man squad. As per BCCI,15 members team consist Virat Kohli (capt), Rohit Sharma (vc), KL Rahul, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wk), Ishan Kishan (wk), Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Rahul Chahar, Ravichandran Ashwin, Axar Patel, Varun Chakravarthy, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohd Shami.
Also read: T20 World Cup 2021: Indian Cricket team!
- ECB has cancelled the 5th test match between India and England. ECB issued a statement informing about the cancellation of the match on the grounds of positive cases found in Indian staff. In the current 5 matches series, India was leading with 2-1.
- The Syed Modi International Super 300 tournament was, on Thursday, cancelled by the Badminton World Federation for the second year in a row due to COVID-19.
- The 130th edition of the Durand Cup started at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan in Kolkata. West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee inaugurated the tournament by kicking the ball.
- The Indian team led by Viswanathan Anand made a positive start on the opening day of the FIDE Online Chess Olympiad on Wednesday, defeating Egypt and Sweden.
- Max Verstappen has won the formula one Dutch Grand Prix 2021. In this event, Lewis Hamilton came second while Valtteri Bottas finished third.