WhatsApp users in India will now be able to transfer money to each other through the app. The National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) has approved WhatsApp Pay on Thursday.
Facebook India Head Ajit Mohan has said, “Payments have been made live on WhatsApp in India and people will be able to send money through WhatsApp. We are excited that the company will be able to contribute to India’s digital payment shift.”
To use WhatsApp Payment, customers must have a debit card which supports UPI. You can activate it by going to WhatsApp payment option and selecting a bank and entering details. WhatsApp’s Secure Payment Experience will make sending money as easy as sending messages.
WhatsApp has tied up with five big banks for payment service. These include ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, SBI and Jio Payments Bank. It is worth noting that money from WhatsApp can be sent to any UPI supported app from WhatsApp. That is, even if the recipient does not use WhatsApp payment, you will still be able to pay through WhatsApp.
You may also like: Whatsapp Storage Management Tool: Find Out How It Works
According to WhatsApp, payment here will be secure and UPI PIN will be required for every transaction. In the statement, the company has said that WhatsApp payments will be available on both Android and iOS platforms. For this, users can update the app.
How to use this?
- To find the payment option to use this service one has to download the new version of WhatsApp.
- Open the app and select the contact you want to send money to.
- Tap on the icon that looks like a paper clip – the option will appear in the WhatsApp message and select the ‘Payment’ icon with the symbol of Rupee.
- WhatsApp will start the payment process as soon as you enter the key in the payment price.
- Press the send button, then WhatsApp will ask you to enter a four-digit UPI PIN, enter the code and tap the button with a tick to approve it.
- The entire process takes less than 10 seconds. When the payment is completed, you will see a message in green just below the payment price.